Friday, September 24, 2010

My 5 Minute Grain Sack Pillow



It seems like everywhere I look lately, I see grain sack pillows- and I love them. But sadly I have yet to find one at a price I can afford.


$195 for the pair from Etta Bloom


$145 from L'aviva Home


Even Pottery Barn has jumped on the band wagon. Pillow covers for $89-$99.

Like I said, just too pricey for me and my tiny budget. So with a few things I already had around the house and a quick 5 minutes, I made myself a DIY (and free) grain sack pillow!


I started out with a pillow I got about a year ago at Marshall's. I used electrical tape to tape off a single stripe down the middle. Painters tape might work better, but I didn't have any on hand.


Then with some brown fabric paint, I painted the stripe.


After letting the paint dry for about a minute, I slowly peeled off the tape. I should have just left it on to do the rest of the stripes, but I wanted to make sure it would actually make a nice straight line.


And it did!


So I taped off a couple more stripes and painted those too.


More peeling! My favorite part. :)


I didn't put the tape on as smoothly as I could have, so it left a few bare spots where the pillow was wrinkling. I just used a q-tip to fill those in.


And there you have it! A quick and simple faux grain sack pillow at no cost to me. :)

Have a nice weekend!

3 comments:

  1. you are amazing! love all your ideas

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute Megan! I love looking at your blog and the blogs you follow.

    Shandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG this is adorable. Totally going to try it out.

    ReplyDelete